Re: [microsound] confield

On 24/07/01 12:07, anechoic said in living color:

> better late than never: I just got the latest offering by Autechre and was
> wondering what others on this list thought of it (sorry if I missed the
> confield thread)...
> I find most of it to be little more than a peek into their Kyma sound
> library with some electron microscope graphics and 8.3 DOS sounding titles
> slapped on the cover...this aesthetic posture is getting kinda tired, no?
> I still like the Choc Ind roster better for fuct up digitalia...

I don't know what artist(s) on Chocolate Industries you have in mind, but
IMO, Autechre operate on a much, much higher level than what I've heard from
these chaps... Totally different league, we're talking.

As for Confield in particular, I don't think it's among their strongest
offerings (LP5 and Chiastic Slide for me, probably). The much less
interventionist approach apparently used to construct the tracks
unfortunately result here in music that is "underdeveloped" and too
static/directionless for my liking.

In spite of these (serious) flaws, I find the album rather enjoyable. Just
not on a par with some of their other releases.

g.

--
Guillaume Grenier - gollum@xxxxxxxxxxxx

in space there is no north  in space there is no south
in space there is no east   in space there is no west