Re: [microsound] confield

> Yeah, but to point out the obvious, can you REALLY get a feel for the
> subtlety of an album that way? Hell, half the time I browse by needle-drop
> for dance records, I miss subtleties that I only hear much later. Confield
> seems exactly the sort of release that won't really reveal itself through a
> "speed reading."

I agree with you philip, and everyone should remember that one gets out from a
record as much as one puts in...

> I'm more intrigued by something in Kim's comment -- is it something that
> only somebody with a pretty intimate grasp of the software (in this case, I
> guess Kyma) would pick up on? I'm not sure, Kim, whether your point was
> simply that Confield didn't sound terribly evolved and/or compositionally
> interesting, or whether it was that any user of Kyma could see through their
> tricks immediately. Which, if it's the latter point, I think has some
> interesting implications for the role of novelty and the "wow" factor in
> popular reception of music, at a point when tools appear to be advancing so
> rapidly.

well it is good to be in advance, good to master a new tool, software but
hopefully composers won't forget that music must convey more than only
technical skills. To me this could be the main difference between people like
Kim Cascone who isn't into emotion but creates music which gives us something,
and some people using tools for the sake of novelty only.

> Cheers,
> Philip

have a good night
philippe

BiP-HOp Generation v. 3 [bleep 05]
The series is truly a document of today's creative forms of Electronica. 14
exclusive songs, musically packed with almost 80 minutes, the composers are
each given much longer amounts of time to showcase their talent. Even for those
who think there should be a moratorium on Electronica compilations, this is
worth checking out.
NEOTROPIC (UK) / BOVINE LIFE (Scot) / PIMMON (Au) / ZONK'T (Fr) / ATAU TANAKA
(Jp) / NOVEL 23 (Ru)
http://www.bip-hop.com