Several Species of Furry Autechres Deconstructing Digital Culture in a Cave with a Laptop

Permit me to have a series of random difficulties with the digital culture toolkit, nee the eternal recurrence of Autechre baiting. Specifically, these.

Talk of impressiveness of patch programming and choice of gear recalls all too vividly the days of childhood in which I would engage with my friends in passionate discourse concerning speed of guitar solos, tube amplifier sound against solid state sound, and the great Gibson/Fender dilemma. But I also recall an interview with - I want to say - the bass player Stanley Clarke (Return to Forever) concerning the guitarist Andy Summers (The Police), in which the latter was described as playing furiously in an audition with the former; Clarke responded that he already knew Summers could play his guitar and was interested instead in what he could play on it. Similarly, if I buy a record or attend a performance by a digital musician, I have made the assumption that he or she is able to use the equipment properly and hope to experience new music rather than simply a hardware or software demo; I must admit I have absorbed far too many recordings and performances falling into the latter category, as if sponsored by the VST Plugin Of The Month Club.

Unlike some theoretically propped (or crutched) groups, Autechre seems content to be making music, and given that this duo originates in the world of dance music and refrains from esoteric footnoting (but perhaps not nosepicking) on its records, it seems unfair to burden its music with the leaden mantles of digital cultural helmsmanship or of technical innovation. Rather than trying Autechre for some betrayal of experimental purity, why not instead enjoy the subversion of the mainstream of the electronic musical consciousness by way of this group's MAX/MSP programming?

What is finished? In recorded music, the finishing is inserted into the production process; a trip to the mastering room generally indicates that a piece is finished. But is it really? What does it mean to release an "unfinished" piece? That one is lazy? Or slow? Or making a statement about the production process of music as retail product? Or do we mean not unfinished but rather carelessly fabricated - brought to a finish prematurely?

Digital culture bugbear: does culture evolve around practice, community, ritual, belief, ethics, or rather is it distributed by media conglomerates and presented for instant assimilation. When we speak of MD, CD-R, DAT, LP, Powerbooks, etc, can we really speak meaningfully of culture, or are we instead calling culture the ooze seeping into the cultural vaccuum created by mass consumption?

Oval might have contextualized the music of skipping CDs within a program of retail music deconstruction, in which the transparent tool of commodified musical disemination is presented as such in its unwelcome opacity, yet the artifacts of this program have themselves been commodified, to the extent that groups use the sound of skipping CDs not as a reference to the underlying theoretical discourse but merely as an imitation of a successfully marketed and now easily categorized "sound." Here there is neither tool analysis nor digital cultural critique (and to extrude the latter from Oval records is already a stretch), but a gestural SDK emptied of all but aesthetic contents. But perhaps not subsequently debugged.

Tool-content relationship = signifier-signified relationship? The tool signifies the content? How can this be accurate? My collection of instruments does not signify content of my music; rather the tool is the device that allows that music - and any signification made within it - to occur. Certainly, the choice of tool can alter the palette of semiological possibilities within music (some of which may feed back toward the tool itself), but the tool may just as easily be left out of the layer of signification entirely; not all music is self-referential. Must all writers, similarly, bring the publisher of their word processing software into their stories? Do we care what sort of typewriter Thomas Pynchon used? Another tired Selectric novel, yawn!

Musicians know how music is made and are able to pick apart the production process of a record; indeed sometimes their listening experience is crippled by an inability to restrain their picking apart. But it does not follow from our ability to analyse the workings of this music that the music is "about" these workings. When I listen to Peter Gabriel's third album or the early ECM releases I hear Steve Lillywhite's gated drum reverbs or Erik von Kongshaug's ride cymbal microphone techniques, but it would be a bit extreme for me to say these records are "about" these techniques. For listeners - and for us if we are willing to humbly submit ourselves to the music - music is about sound, and in electronic music it seems especially unfortunate to manacle the abstract and nonrepresentational possibilities of this sound to an interpretive matrix of production accidents.

The ourobouros is pictured as a snake swallowing its tail. Why in the case of humans is hall-of-mirrors self-referentiality depicted so often as the tail swallowing the head?

And more, but typing must stop for the moment.  Respect to all.

np - Radiohead "Amnesiac"

Joshua Maremont / Thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boxman Studies Label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/