Re: [microsound] free av stuff

on 7/26/01 7:42 PM, scott allison at lipistal3@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> if you have access to a pc, and know anything about linux, then you can get
> jmax and or pd(not sure if pd is linux, def nt), i havent done much with
> either, but there is a set of objects called gem I think they work with pd
> it might be jmax, anyways gem process video in a similuar fashion as nato,
> but gem is free. dont have any links off hand just do a search in something
> like dogpile or whatever, you shouldnt have any problems finding it. PD is a
> new set of objects by one of the orginators of max/msp according to the PD
> PD = pure data site. i dont have any experince with jmax or pd, but one of
> my friends here is all over it, cant stop talking about how great it is.
>
> hope that helps with the video, I think the idea behind gem is for real-time
> video patches, could be wrong... but at least its free- or is it?.

gem:
it runs on linux, nt, win95 and such.
it's free.
it's mostly for real time 3d graphix
can handle live video in certain (specific) circumstances

You better stick with the simpler ideas, as were suggested in previous posts
because if you've never used this kind of environment before it will take
you a few months to learn how to drive this thing and then make something
interesting.

However, once mastered, it's capable of quite amazing stuff.

../MiS