Re: [microsound] tool and medium

Kim <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> replied :
a) >the medium is sound because that's one of the 5 stimuli
>that our human perceptual apparatus (...) can decode...
b) >the medium is what carries the message/signal...
c) >the medium ... can be part of the message
>but the transmitter is not the medium...
The medium is the transmitter (as to 'transmit' signifies not only
'sending', but also 'pass on' / 'conduct' / 'mediate' ...), as follows
from a)+b) ... -- of sound, for instance, hence a message / signal in
form of some physical (e.g., sound waves) / chemical process, being
carried by a physical / chemical medium (air, for example, or a CD,
where sonic information is stored in form of microscopic 'pits',
representing the digital signal in 14/16-digit binary combinations ...).

>the classical model of a communication system (Shannon)
Ok, I'm (roughly) aware of this -- and the meaning of the medium as
sound carrier (s.a.), which is is yet a non-inclusive definition,
'medium' (latin ...) referring also to a more general mean / mediating
function, extending from informational / communicational / instructive
(mass media ...) up to (para)psychological purposes ...

:ah

[Akira Rabelais ?]