re: Transmissions Festival

pardon my two cents, but to clarify -
transmissions has never been an exercise in
profit making.  as contrived as it may seem, it
really exists beyond that...

i tend to hemorrhage money every year, and this year
was absolutely no exception. and yes - of course, festival
programming would indeed be a bit different if intel were
sponsoring.... that's why all three of us have personally
absorbed expenses over the years.

and to richard's point - the Wire was not a "financial"
sponsor, and Cycling '74's $$ contribution was minimal
(though the on-site support and presence of gregory taylor
was phenomenal and this year's festival couldn't have
manifested itself in quite the same way otherwise).

i understand the difficulty that higher ticket prices exerts
upon individual attendees.  at the same time, i also feel
that it's significant that we had great numbers of people
that offered to support the process of the festival by
purchasing tickets and attending events.  there aren't
necessarily many certainties for events without underwritten
or funded budgets.  transmissions has only continued to occur
because of the support of related artists, festival attendees
and the tenacity of unconditionally giving staff members and
volunteers.

my apologies to those of you who felt tickets were excessively
priced.  our personal investments and ticket sales largely fund
the festival.  the event with skuli sverrisson and ikue mori
last night at the cultural center was entirely free -
and it also happened to be one of my most personally
appreciated sonic moments of the week. but i think it perhaps
indexed the fact that our intentions were not rooted in
financial gain (or even breaking even).

my gratitude for each and every one of you that came out
is present.  and though transmissions exacts months of planning
and tends to voraciously consume vast amounts of time, energy,
and money - we're still here. and love this.

keenan

keenan mcdonald  |  director
fourth annual transmissions festival
http://transmit.org  |  k@xxxxxxxxxxxx