Re: microsound Digest 14 Aug 2001 05:07:06 -0000 Issue 380

> From: Bob Falesch <raf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> ...it's tough to
> describe schumacher's piece objectively, but i can
> say it had a symphonic scope, a kind of grandeur
> about it. lots of different sounds, and different
> sound categories, perhaps a stronger focus on
> pitch relationships than anything else i heard in
> this festival (but these moments were truly
> fleeting), and in a kind of improvisatory way.
> there was not much of the knife-edge digital-noise
> types of sounds, perhaps a lot fm-synth (?), maybe
> layered with other kinds of sounds.  very
> "composerly" and it gave me a real sense of
> development.

I'll avoid the haiku in my notebook and opt for
the long form.

Gong-bearing farmers make a procession
of appeasement. The gods open a fissure in
the earth, which the villagers fill with tears.
The rains create an estuarial salt/freshwater
environment from which life emerges and
teems until further heat from the fissure
makes its inhabitants flee as the water
boils away. Crystals form along the edges
of the fissure. Everyone goes home.

It was pretty much like this, but about 70
minutes, and done with a laptop.

gregory
_
knowledge is not enough/science is not enough/
love is dreaming/this equation/Gregory Taylor/
WORT-FM 89.9/Madison, WI/ http://www.rtqe.net/