Re: [microsound] Re:flash and sound (take 2)

>Ian-
>I'm very interested, but neither of these links seem to be working...

Sorry Andrew, my mistake.
try http://sysx.org/microsound/

I just put a new file up that I adapted from one of the live performance
files. It uses the random function to jump to random frames within movie
clips and display graphics at random screen positions on top of a
permutative cyclic structure. Its at:
http://sysx.org/microsound/dreamhome.html
This one needs a reasonably fast cpu to run properly. In the live version
(which is full screen size and is much fatter) I use the keyboard to
trigger off various movie clips and to jump to other .swfs.
Now that I've thought about it Flashamp might not be so useful for me since
I compose all of the music from within flash, importing lots of short
samples which are sequenced on the time lines of the movie clips. Its
really the same principle as mod files. Sending the samples and the
sequencing information instead of the entire audio stream.  Flash, of
course, is very unwieldy for this kind of work and tends to have a built-in
randomness to it. But thats what I like about it. Its very aleatory. So the
results are often clumsy but kind of interesting.  I also use compression
as an effect, combining heavily compressed ADPCM 2 bit with MP3 and
uncompressed sounds. This results in  quite interesting textures at
incredibly low file sizes.

The ebom site still seems to be down

Ian Andrews
Metro Screen
Sydney

Email: i.andrews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.metroscreen.com.au
1981 - 2001 Metro Screen is a celebrating 20 years of access and
innovation in independent screen production.

Metro Screen
Sydney Film Centre
Paddington Town Hall
P.O. Box 299