Re: [microsound] [ot] what is worse?

> it's not so much a question of blame, but a question
> of pointing out that
> global capitalism constitutes a brutal attack on
> over half the planet's
> population, and that brutal attack continues almost
> relentlessly in the wake
> of the brutal attacks on U$ soil. there is injustice
> in that. that was
> graeme's point (or do i misunderstand you, g?)

i agree with this and i think that anyone aware of the
problems inherent in certain power and trade
structures
could not likely disagree with it and back it up... i
suppose what i meant more (though didn't adequately
explain) was that i think there is a delineation that
must be made between the two (i believe) different
issues of global corporate injustice and the shopping
and buying habits of the average person.  certainly
there is BIG problems with the way the global economy
maginalizes, brutalizes and exploits the less
developed world, no one is arguing with that.  the
issue that i think ought to be recognized, is that
many people don't even realize that this is the sort
of behavior that they're buying habits encourage.
to a certain extent, corporate media has taken
measures
to ensure that people don't readily make these sorts
of
connections, and alternative media channels usually
require effort that most people don't want to, don't
know how to, or haven't been told to exert.  the real
problem lies in the marketing of these products, and
the illusion of choice that people are given.  there's
so many different colors and fashions to choose from,
but ultimately they seem mostly to lead back to the
same twisted corrupt paths.  how do you let people
know this on a large enough scale that you can make
a difference? and can you blame someone for doing
things that they likely don't even know they're doing?

as far as the relevance of this to tuesday's attacks,
of course they must be faced together as two heads
of the same ugly beast...  there is a lot of bad shit
in the world and it all plays out to effect everything
else in the end.  my suspicion though, is that by and
large, the biggest issue at hand was u.s. foreign
policy, and i think without big changes, we are likely
to be susceptible to further tragedies.

my original reply was written mostly with the idea
that it was not the time to discuss those things, and
i still think that, but i recognize your insistence
that innocent people fall by the wayside unreported
in the wake of the attacks, and i frankly don't know
how to respond to that.
with love,
gregory