Stockhausen and the World Trade Center

Hello,

maybe this is of interest for you:

All Stockhausen-Concerts in Hamburg planned for this week have been
postponed by the organizers immediately. The reason is a remark the
composer made today on his press conference, referring to  the attack
on the World Trade Center. According to the German news agency dpa
Stockhausen said (my translation):

  "What had  happened there,  is -  now you have to convert your brain
- the greatest artwork, which has ever existed. That human minds can
fullfil something in one act, what we couldn't dream of in music,
that people are rehearsing like mad during ten years, completely
fanatic, for one concert and then die, that is the greatest artwork
which has ever been existing for the whole cosmos. I couldn't do
that. We as composers are nothing against that."

The original (in German) under:
http://de.news.yahoo.com/010918/3/1yzvm.html
http://de.news.yahoo.com/010918/3/1z0in.html

According to dpa Stockhausen excused himself for these sentences
already during the press conference and asked the journalists not to
publish them. However, the main sponsor of the concerts, the
ZEIT-foundation,  postponed the events. This decision was supported
by the Hamburg Senator of Culture  Christina Weiss, who marked
Stockhausen's sentences as "cynic and amoral".

Greetings
Sabine Breitsameter