Re: [microsound] [OT]<--- maybe... (more on society)

> I wasn't sure if I should post this -- I'm pretty much of a lurking sort of
> guy
> on the microsound list, but the more I thought about it the more it seemed
> intensely relevant to the work we do.

thanks brad, i appreciate your words.

i think you've shown that as inherently social beings (im sure very few of
you are reading this from a desert island somewhere) it is impossible to
divide "the political" from the rest of human endeavour. this is naturally
very important as far as music is concerned. abstract sound art may not
*sound* particularly political on the surface, but the fact remains that it
is impossible to divorce it from the *context* in which it is produced and
presented. it would please me very much if more microsound list discussion
focussed on this question of context.

can we be more than just entertainers? i sure hope so. if that is all we
aspire to be then we don't really stack up to well against the eminems and
britneys of this world - they certainly entertain a lot more people...

so come on microsounders, how is it that you're better than britney?

marc