Re: [microsound] Cage's random processes

i wouldnt recommend cage's own writings on his processes. there are some descriptions in _Silence_ of his compositional processes in writing the Music for Piano (a lesser known work), but theyre not very clear. James Pritchett's _The Music of John Cage_ might be a better place to turn for the info you seek, as it is the first, and probably the only so far, text to treat Cage as first and foremost a *composer*. There are some painstaking descriptions of process there, though i dont always agree with Pritchett's conclusions about Cage as an artist.

indeterminately yours,

phil

!ICá#ò_I(?0c^KÙS¤?kék?c4??uGw,"xQº¼MÂ8[éJ}Ñ

{ phil thomson    { http://thisisphil.ca       }
                 { http://mp3.com/philthomson }
                 { http://www.tiln.org        }

{ self-released cds available for sale/trade   }

!ICá#ò_I(?0c^KÙS¤?kék?c4??uGw,"xQº¼MÂ8[éJ}Ñ

"When politics, the way it was understood by theorists of the "science of police" in the eighteenth century, reduces itself to police, the difference between state and terrorism threatens to disappears. In the end security and terrorism may form a single deadly system, in which they justify and legitimate each other's actions."

Giorgio Agamben, "On Security and Terror", translated by Soenke Zehle