Re: [microsound] Cage's random processes

back in 98 "Eye" magazine published a good article on graphic scores, there are a number of cage scores reproduced, and if I remeber correctly its a good article to read. Eye is a graphic design magazine published in england? it is well distributed and most campus libraires have it in there periodical section.

To understand his random processes you need to look into the idea of chance operation, The idea here is to remove your "self" from any and or all acsetic desion making so that the natural chance can make the descion for you, and then the coming together of elements in ways not conscilly choosen shows the mind new possiblities. You have to set up rules that determine chance and the more complex of a system you are able to create the more you remove yourself form the descion making.

Cage did a wonderful series of ink paintings that made full use of chance at virgina tech, using stones that where placed by chance then traced with ink brush.

hope this helps some.

-scott

I'm interested in finding out what sort of "random processes" Cage made
use of while composing. Can anyone point me in the direction of
interviews, writings, etc. where Cage discusses this ?

Thanks,
Andrei