From: Jenny Shears [mailto:jshears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 9:34 AM
To: jshears@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: FW: A SPECIAL OPPORTUNITY

a special opportunity

Dear colleagues,

In the wake of the tragic events of September 11, the *Surface editorial
staff has attempted to consider our appropriate role in this moment of
strife.

As individuals, we can do many things to help our fellow world citizens. As
a publication, we can provide a specific opportunity.

*Surface explores the relationship between our designed environment and our
communities. Now New York City has lost a piece of its skyline. Minoru
Yamasaki's World Trade Center was an iconic work of modern architecture that
conveyed powerful metaphors and served its inhabitants well.

Many designers, architects and artists are already drafting plans in homage
to the WTC and its inhabitants. Examples include poignantly ironic
reinterpretations of the actual structure, elegant ephemeral installations
at the site and monuments that utilize original materials.

We have allocated the end page of our forthcoming issue<the Annual American
Avant Guardian edition< to publish various proposals from creative
professionals. They may range from architectural plans and monument
renderings to conceptual art ideas. This page will be curated with restraint
and objectivity. It is not an opinionated editorial, but a survey of
creative response.

You are invited to submit your ideas, drafts and renderings.

We are under an extremely tight deadline, and we will work with you to get
these submissions edited with the utmost efficiency. We hope that those of
you who plan to submit will contact us immediately to let us know of your
interest and means of submission. We must require all final submissions to
arrive in digital form (via email or post) by Tuesday, September 25. We also
require a brief text of explanation.

We hope this inspires positive creativity. We hope the page will communicate
the international design community¹s commitment to progressive thought and
social responsibility.

Please pass this on to your colleagues, and alert us to any existing design
proposals you may be aware of.

Kindest Regards,
*Surface Editorial