Re: [microsound] stockhausen, tolsma: same plight, different planet OR "kicking jeremy off the list, there's a stupid idea"

On 25/09/01 14:56, david turgeon said in living color:

> since that seems to be such a problem, jeremy, i'd like to read a
> comprehensive selection of examples of "idol worshipping" happening on this
> list, or occurences of someone saying (even as a joke) that one "must" or
> "mustn't" like this or that artist, musical genre or method.  not that i
> think you wouldn't find any; but the only thing i've seen that looked like
> a theological war (hence worshipping) was about autechre.  or maybe some
> mac vs PC discussions.  geeks are such mystics...  so anyway, i'd really
> like to see how the worshipping is really affecting the list & your
> capacity to post comments.

Here are two of my tangential pennies (NOT directly related to the precise
matters above):

One thing that does affect the way I post comments on the list is the very
presence of artists who release microsound(-ish) works.

Maybe that's just me(*), and maybe that shouldn't be the case, but I feel
really uneasy posting critical, negative (insert your own adjective)
comments about works released by those artists. So I don't.

What do people think here about this issue?

* I don't think it's just me, though.

1) I don't recall much (if any) comments of that sort regarding works
released by artists present on this list.

2) This behavioral trend also seems to permeate other microsound(-ish)
review outlets besides this list. You will rarely see a microsound(-ish)
artist criticizing the work of another microsound(-ish) artist with whom he
has a relationship of some sort. Or a non-musician with ties with the
"microsound community". Probably to be expected... I don't know. Sadly,
however, I think it is a somewhat unhealthy situation. I think that the
"everything is great, everybody produces great music" (self-)congratulatory
attitude installs a stagnant climate that is detrimental to the development
of the music.

g.

--
Guillaume Grenier - gollum@xxxxxxxxxxxx

in space there is no north  in space there is no south
in space there is no east   in space there is no west