Re: [microsound] food for thought

From: anechoic <kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
...coming back to the US after being out of the country is always an
eye-opener...road rage, complacency and materialism are prevelent
everywhere...

Kim, how does Microsound play a part in this culture of materialism? You just mentioned getting SMS messages on your mobile and in the past you've discussed the high-tech digital mediasphere as being an integral part of the microsound aesthetic. If that is the culture of microsound, where does that leave people who don't have access to laptops and cellphones or those who aren't the least bit interested in acquiring those symbols of new economy success?

If the tool is the message and the tool is a powerbook, is the message any more than a glorified Apple advertisement? Does microsound have any substance beneath it's high-tech facade?

...the US is sheltered
from how others around the world see us and we need to wake up and start
questioning the political values we embrace and the values we export
through the media...

I know what you are saying here, but perhaps we should also think of the values embraced by the niche "media" of the microsound list. What does it mean to make computer music and help perpetuate an industry that thrives on a rapid cycle of obsolescence and the design of computers as disposable fashion accessories? Those old computers and monitors that we throw away and consider junk every couple of years pose a serious environmental threat and people have died thanks to the constant cycle of semiconductor manufacturing. What does this mean for some of the people on this list who at the forefront of the computer industry and also choose to make art that embraces cutting-edge technology as a complete lifestyle? In the past when I have tried to raise these questions they went ignored, so I hope that doesn't mean that I'm coming across as bitchy or rude. I'm sincerely trying to better understand what philisophical ideas there are behind microsound.

over the last couple of years the microsound list has degenerated into
little more than a trainspotting fan-boy list that has little to do with
what the founders intended: to develop philosophical dialog about (post)
digital/glitch/microsound/etc music...
so in closing, I am not going to answer *any* emails regarding this
post...

Well, so much for a dialogue.

just read it and think about where this list is headed and what part
you want to play (via your posts) in where a potentially exciting sub-genre
of computer music is headed...I think a change is needed in how we think
and conduct ourselves...