Tactex pads for performance control

Micronauts...

Has anyone out there used the Tactex MTC Express
(http://www.tactex.com/products.html)
for electronic music production, either live or recorded?  I've been casting
around for the ideal
performance controller, and have tried solutions like pen-based mouse pads
without being
satisfied.  The Tactex sounds like it might be just what I'm looking for,
but I'm hoping to hear
at least a few third-party testimonials before I spend the $500.

I'd be especially interested in talking to anyone who has written their own
custom software
over the Tactex API and has stories to tell about it.

Thanks!
-Wayne (aka Later Days)
wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.mp3.com/laterdays

PS:  Sorry if this message doesn't wallow deep enough in
pseudo-philosophical muck or
technological guilt mongering.  I'm actually just out to keep making the
experimental music
I love, albiet as cheaply as possible.