micro-materialism

There may be some validity to connecting DSP based music with materialist tendencies in modern culture (the need for newer faster machines, newer weirder software, the latest limited release, etc.), but it seems to me this is based mostly in how someone approaches the music. Filter of the month is a consumerist trend - plugging the blender into an effects unit and a Mac SE is, perhaps, something different.

It would also seem that the use of MP3 and FTP for transmitting/sharing music breaks from the commodity model of traditional music business, no physical item to purchase, often no money exchanging hands at all. I know this is a lot of what made me get involved in online audio.

Of course then I released a CD. Oh well, so much for that posturing! ;-)

Malcolm Bly
www.mollusk.net
AUDIO DIGITALIA