Re: [microsound] minidisc question

> From: Garry Kling <kling007@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>> If I buy one of those pocket minidisc recorders, would I be able to
>> record my live sets direct lined from my mixing board to the recorder,
>> or would the sound quality be bad?
>
> I've done this at rehearsals and such, and it usually sounds pretty good.
> The problem is that most consumer MD's don't have a digital out, so making a
> CD from the recording isn't the best since you go a/d d/a a/d. I don't mind
> the quality, but other people do. If you can get a MD in Japan, you might be
> able to find it with an optical out.

i bought a portable md a while ago, and tried hard to find one with ANY kind
of digital out. doesn't exist, outside japan anyway. all have line in +
optical in. some cheaper ones DON'T have the mic in, so watch for that one.
(and of course, the cheapest don't record at all.)

but of course you can just record on your portable, and read that disk
digitally with a rack/table model later.

also, the newer sony's (don't know if others have this too) have the
extended record options, lp2 and lp4 (having x2 and x4 the record time
normally available, due extended data compression). the lp4 is rubbish, but
the lp2 is okay, at least to me. that give you 160 minutes of stereo
recording. i would say the difference (to normal md recording) is in the
ballpark of +256kbps vs. 128kbps mp3:s ... at least for me, the slighly
lower, hmm, 'spectral' quality is much more acceptable than the mono option.
the 160 minutes can last almost any gig.

 t-mu

]]] tkorpipa@xxxxxxxxx                  [[[
[[[ "james bond is now known as EMINEM" ]]]