Re: [microsound] adding noise

pelagius pelagius wrote:

> That's an interesting idea.  Is it high frequency noise that you're using?

It's kinda high end broadband stuff, "hissy" is the best description

> I was just reading something similar to that on the mastering webboard.
> Somebody said...
> "I remember years ago being told that most people could not reliably
> distinguish between hiss and actual musical content in the higher registers,
> and that many people, when confronted with hiss in those upper registers,
> thought that it was musical content and liked the recording better."

Cool

> Are you using constant noise or creating some kind of musical element with
> it?

Both...I do play with the 'using error/noise/click' thing that's all the hype
these
days.  But I also have been playing with adding constant noise to a track.

Kind of like simulating that analog noise that many people find very
warm and fuzzy with vinyl records.

I've been wanting to buy this CD and try out some
noise adding experiements:

http://www.cranesong.com/products/software/index.html

Ambient noise is all around us in our environment.
The type and levels vary greatly from a roaring
river to a roaring factory to a light whispy wind
to the high pitch squeal of halogen lights.

As most people that have experience a anechoic
chamber will report that they felt very unnatural
and dis-oriented.  Because of the lack of noise
and reverberant signal.

A friend mentioned a while ago how he was
observing that a great deal of the
european microsound musicians use
of reverb and delays to create a great
deal of space that you can actually "feel"
inbetween the notes of their music.

hmmmm.....bringing natural occuring
acoustics into the world of often sterile
studio and computer generated "clean"
sounds.

> --

Kerry Uchida
Vancouver,Canada

"Whatever you do will be insignificant,
but it is very important that you do it"
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Now Playing:

DJ Aural---- http://www.mp3.com/DJAural
Technomorph-- http://www.technomorph.com