RE: [microsound] oval armani

      KM wrote:
One problem with applying Cage's ideas now is that it's impossible
not to recognize the influence of the tools we use.

maybe i just don't know enough about John Cage and Chance Music, although I
have read my share of his writings (and others) on the subject, but I don't
really see the issue of "recognizing the influence of the tools we use".
When Cage used radios as instruments, did the audience not recognize them as
radios? Apply that to any other "instrument" and it's the same sense of
recognition.... I never thought about Cage's music as having anything to do
with instruments, tools, or even sounds really... to me it always seemed to
be about process, in much the same way as the Fluxus stuff...

Stab a fork into some Jello.
Attempt to re-create the sound of the Jello on the telephone to your
Senator.
repeat until every Senator has been called, or the Jello no longer makes
personally perceptible sound.

But maybe I have missed your point?

David Fodel
Publishing Systems Manager