[no subject]

I really hate to plug up the list with such an
open-ended question relating to _stuff_, but I am new
to electronic music performance, and as I'm on a
budget of sorts, I'd like to proceed carefully.  Right
now I'm mostly working with a Mac ibook g3600, a
quantity of mostly freeware (protools free, logic FUN,
soundhack) max/msp (the mysteries reveal themselves
daily, like eating strange fruit from a platter made
of a mirror: I gorge myself, enthralled).  In terms of
gear or software that would enable/maximize
performance options, where should I go next?  I was
thinking about a pretty barebones, naked
midi-controller keyboard, and maybe a very portable
mixing board, though I still don't understand what
these are used for by laptop performers (multiple
sound-cards?).

It's kind of embarrassing to be asking the list this;
I can only promise I've been following the discussion
and catching as catch can, but it's this next step
that seems so crucial to getting off the ground, and
easing from bedroom to performance space.  Private
replies would be greatly welcomed.  Thanks for the
help, and happy/healthy 2002 to everyone.

-----s

np: Brume, KRIEG