Re: [microsound] Help?

i use a reel-to-reel machine quite a bit, or i use to.  i still drag it out
from time to time.  I found mine at a second hand thrift store for $15
canadian and I know a few other people who got their machines for around the
same price.  It's not a top notch machine but it makes interesting sounds.  If
you take it apart you can play with the internal gears and stuff while it's
playing and get some nice distortions on the tape.  Mine has a nice little
pause switch and can still play back while its paused if you turn the reels
manually, this makes for great on the fly remixing, you can flip the sound
backwards, start, stop change speeds, distort it by screwing with internal
components.  It's fun...and can end up being quite the physical feat.  I'd
recomend picking an old glitchy one up for cheap if you're interested in the
lo-fi garbled tape sound.  Also, check out local radio stations and ask if
they have left over reels from a while ago.  I was given a good hundred reels
or so by the local community radio station here, including everything from
their old pre-recorded "ethnic" shows to kfc commercials.