Poss. OT: SHN Sound Format

Sorry if this is offtopic, but I just discovered this today, and it sounds
really cool.

--info--

Shorten (extension .shn) is an audio compression scheme written by Tony
Robinson of SoftSound that can compact .wav files without subtracting out
any frequencies. It's "lossless"- everything in the original .wav is
there, so that full quality is maintained. For many traders of live music,
Shorten files (SHNs) therefore have an undisputed advantage over
"lossy" MP3-format files. A SHN file made from a WAV is quite a bit larger
than the corresponding MP3, with a size perhaps ~50-60%  of the orginal
WAV.

--info--

So, 148 minutes of lossless audio on a standard audio CD!? Sign me
up! Why hasn't this caught on? Hardware manufacturers need to get with the
program...

Mmmm, this would also halve the size of my absurdly large sample archive.

Check it:

http://www.alumni.umbc.edu/~hamilton/shnfaq.html

--- -- -
Nintari Man