Re: [microsound] crap or crap-not etc.

Gregory Taylor wrote:

> gregory
>
> P.S. I'll stake a round on the O'Rourke being his usual
> ongoing huge MSP patch that dates from before his
> Sonic Youth days, honed to a frightening polish and
> sporting whole new wings and facades.

I think you are spot on. I went to a Thurston Moore + Jim O´Rourke gig in
Oslo, fall 1999, and the solo pieces by Jim consisted of one Powerbook and
sounds/structures rather similar to the ones displayed on the <title of the
year> CD.

And didn´t he say in The Wire that these pieces were done X years ago?

btw, I don´t know why people still bother throwing up the "X% of all <genre>
is crap/boring/stoopid"; it´s as obvious and non-provocative as the claim
against microsound or whatever else genre that´s target of the week. I just
received a stack of CDs yesterday, and while Francis Dhomonts latest might
turn out to be the most conservative of the six (which does not make it
boring, btw), I still have potential gems by F.Lopez ("Buildings"), R.Friedl
& M.Vorfield (latest on trente oiseaux), TMRX (field recordings + processed
field recordings ++; on Selektion), Rolf Julius ((halb) schwarz) and M.
Behrens (Elapsed Time) to look forward to. Judging from the sneak
preview(ing) this should be quite a ride.

And Francois Bayle just released a new one... Too much music is the problem
in my case, it seems, not too little.

Deleuze & Guattari. Their name is certainly circulating with the same
superficiality as the latest fashion(able) item, but it´s still a damn good
read. The problem is, of course, the namedropping, not D&G. There, I said
the obvious.

/Øivind/

--Boundary_(ID_/pMVlI9XveqSRsQtXFFQWw)