(OT?) microsound&vision @rotterdam film fest

micronauts,

just spent three days at the rotterdam film fest, and i thought i would offer up a micro-review of what i saw and heard as it relates to our humble list. purely subjective, highly incomplete, and intended only as a spring-board for further explorations:

1) Exposed (shorts program): if you went to the R'dam film fest looking for offerings a bit more experimental than the art-house, feature-length films, each day offered one or two collections of shorts. "Exposed" focused on the art of celluloid, and the formalistic interventions which can be made on that specific medium. Siegfried Fruhauf's "Exposed" was actually the most "computerized" looking, in that his meticulous use of multiple apertures into a running found-footage film loop resembled a digital filter more than the more-familiar chemical and solarizing treatments of the other filmmakers in the program, as was his use of clipped and degraded optical sound track taken from the film stock. The second artist, Peter Tscherkassky has been discussed on this list already. The 11 min film "Dream Work" was a tribute to Man Ray, and was a beautiful retreatment of found Hollywood footage with a dark, moody soundtrack. The last film of the program, "The Dreams", by Christina V. Greve & Cartsen Schultz, set the sound work of British artist Barry Bermange to incredible 8mm, 16mm, 35mm and video shots. Bermange's piece involved interviews with a dozen or so subjects about recurring nightmares, which were then skillfully woven together to reveil the commonalities between. My personal highlight was a section of chemically treated and pigmented b/w stock which erupted into amazing color. At 40 min, however, even the most entranced eye can become sonambulistic, and I left the theatre more sleepy than invigorated.

2) "Watch That Flicker" (shorts program): This program sought to take the kind of digital video many of us are familiar with via the VJ/MAX+NATO scene and "cinematize" it for the big screen, with mixed results. One of my own personal problems with much up-coming experimental digital video work is that it is still in its adolescence, and the fascination with the technology of filters and plug-ins still hinders a lot of more mature exploration of themes which lie outside the software itself. Program Highlight: "A Not = A, or for Devatas who Keep Dancing" by Kawai Masayuki (for transcending the GUI).

3) "An evening with DOT.NU": dot.nu is a program initiated by the V2 in R'dam for "finding solutions to the idea of live cinema". For the film festival, KODI (NL) worked with Tappo Kontakt (DE/NL), and COH (RU) with Telco Systems (NL). For the first half, Tappo Kontakt played heavily pixelized, lo-fi video clips while KODI produced very nice, minimal tones and itinerant beats from a pile of analog gear (in wooden cases even!). Being that they were put off-center on the side of the stage, the effect was somewhat of a "Wizard of OZ behind the curtain" syndrome, with the technology unseen, and therefor more mystified. COH's introduction to his and Telco's set turned this around. He described each of the roles of the three laptops on stage to the audience, then proceeded to display his desktop, running Audiomulch patches, for the entire performance on the beamer. The boys from Telco Systems are long time MAX/MSP/NATO gearheads, and together with COH they deconstructed a found porno MPEG from the internet. By the end, however, I found myself still wondering if all this NATO/VJ stuff really makes for compelling viewing, or simply video wallpaper while we drink, talk, and (maybe) listen to some music at the club.

4) Odd and Ends: some of the most interesting thematics seemed to come from the "What (Is) Cinema?" trajectory, which also posed 24 questions (= 24 fps...) for each day, such as "Why has the history of film so much focused on narrative film?", "Is dubbing a way of neutralising the foreign content of a film?", or "Is a satellite dish a social sign?". A comprehensive retrospective on American experimental pioneer Stan Brakage reminded me why I get nauseous from too much camera movement. The UK's "Light Surgeons" played a (by 2nd hand accounts) fantastic video, film, slide and sound performance at at side-event at the Off-Corso. Much schmoozing was to be done in the bars and lobbys, and also much drinking into the wee hours. As it should be... The film fest runs until this Saturday, and the Dot.Nu event will be repeated this Sunday night at the Paradiso in Amsterdam (if you're in the neighborhood...)

best,
Derek