Re: microsound Digest 2 Feb 2002 09:40:58 -0000 Issue 479

If you'd like to have a look at some really clever people (including
Miller Puckette, who was intimately involved with Max in its
early days, and is also the father of Pd) discussing the issues of
how Max (and MSP, now) might effect one's work in a more
formal way - and, it should be said, from the standpoint of
what one might consider more "academic" forms of electronic
or electroacoustic music - I would commend the following
URL to your attention.

http://www.nici.kun.nl/mmm/papers/dh-93-b.txt

Perhaps these comments from a variety of persons might
move things along more to the level of looking at various
kinds of embedded formalisms. One might also recall
that, since Max and MSP are moving targets, some of those
formalisms are being expanded (by the addition of csound
functionality, for example) in ways that are both public
and ways I'm not at liberty to discuss. :-)

I hope this adds more light and less heat.

gregory