Re: [microsound] Re: software synthesizers

on 2/04/02 8:14 PM, taylor deupree at taylor@xxxxxxx wrote:

>> From: Bill Jarboe <billjarboe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> I was a bit disappointed when you wrote that you use 'Reaktor' live, since
>> you are one of my three favorite electronic composers and that seems a bit
>> obvious( I guess as long as it sounds ok. . . ).
>

> i tried not to respond to this.. but i couldn't hold back :)
>
> 1. i appreciate that you like my music.. thank you!
>
> 2. reaktor can be anything you want it to be, which is why it's so
> great. how can you blanketly judge such flexible software? or judge
> my custom made reaktor patches which you aren't familiar with...would
> you rather me use max/msp? would that be less obvious? would anything
> be less obvious?
>
> 3. why does the software matter?
>

> just curious.. not angry.. :) maybe a little frustrated...
>
> taylor,

 I'm so happy you responded( it feels weird always referring to you in the
third person).

 Actually , points 2 and 3 are what I was hoping to reveal , or at least
allude to. . . I listened to your music from the perspective of not knowing
what you used to create it, and it worked really well that way. I think it
is useful if someone tells the composer what they envision in the
performances, since it gives  an idea of what kind of impact one is having
on at least a small portion of the audience.

 It's fine with me what ever apps you decide to use, though since you
inquired(.. would you rather me use max/msp?) :

  I think it would be really cool if NI made a software version of the arp
quadra. As an added feature: an fm radio transmitter that transmitted across
the entire band so each note had its own'station'; the transmission
triggered by the arpeggiator( arp called it a 'sequencer').You see , this
way public places could be equipped with multichannel surround sound simply
by plugging in a bunch of(modified) radio sets( also 'jamming' what's being
transmitted in the city with silence).

                                Bill