Re: [microsound] wheels of steel

on 2/13/02 5:00 PM, anechoic at kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Last year we drew attention to a brilliant version
> of The Wheels Of The Bus Go Round And Round, performed
> in the style of Madonna's Ray Of Light. Well, the good
> news is that the tune is being properly released on
> Feb 25th, credited to Mad Donna. Needless to say,
> it's far better than Ray Of Light.
> Hear the original:
> http://www.bartsoft.com/mov_madonna.htm

  Normally I wouldn't go off on a tirade like I'm about to; however ,
something about this offends me.

  I'm all for making fun of pop music , public figures , what have you.

  The issue is; when you say that a 'spoof' , 'pastiche' or whatever you
want to call it is better than the song from which it borrows the style;
that's standing on some pretty shaky philosophical ground.

  Madonna is capable of writing and performing good pop songs , which is
more than SOME of us are capable of doing.

   in my experience it takes a certain kind of 'emotional commitment' and
courage to really pull off a song and it's easy to take that for granted yet
the airwaves are richer because of those who make such efforts.