URGENT NEED FOR MORAL SUPPORT

-----

> HOW?

> YOU can support John Duncan and the Stockholm experimental art community

> by complaining to IASPIS about their misbehaivior against John Duncan.

> You are also welcome to spread this letter to people who might care, all

> around the world.

> Anyone not familiar with Duncan's work is invited to study his artistic

> background at http://www.johnduncan.org

> IASPIS did not even make the effort to read it before inviting him, and

> now they expect him to suffer the consequences of their negligence.

> Simply copy the protest letter below, or write your own comment.

> Send your message to IASPIS director Sara Arrhenius (sa@xxxxxxxxxx).

"We, the undersigned artists, curators and cultural workers, seriously

question the decision taken by the board of directors at IASPIS,

concerning the abrupt termination of the Stockholm visit of the internationally

acclaimed artist John Duncan.

Duncan was invited to Stockholm by IASPIS to work and stay as an artist in

residence for a period of six months.  His performances and concerts, at

Fylkingen and Färgfabriken so far, have deeply affected and inspired

several Swedish artists to develop their experimentation in the fields of

sound and performance art.

Several respected artists living in Stockholm were looking forward to a

spring with even more opportunities to experience the powerfully dynamic

works of John Duncan.  Artists and cultural workers in Stockholm were glad

and thankful for the generosity and support shown by IASPIS for inviting
Duncan, among

others, to inspire and develope the vital Swedish scene of experimental

contemporary arts.

The reason given for the termination is that IASPIS suddenly became aware

of "Blind Date", an artwork performed by Duncan more than 20 years ago.

"Blind Date" were performed during a time when the artist were researching

the extremes of human behaivior, social taboos and the very limits of his

expressions, especially in the areas of death and sexuality.  Duncan has

in no way hidden his history of extreme experimentation, to IASPIS or anyone

else.  Over the years he has openly discussed his works in lectures, as

well as in interviews in a variety of respected European, Japanese and US

publications.

Duncan was invited to Stockholm to work with his contemporary art,

especially in the field of soundart.

This is exactly what he was doing, in full cooperation with the IASPIS

staff, when his residency was unjustly terminated.  His collaboratory

soundwork

"Palace of Mind" (Allquestions) was released recently on CD and has

claimed a

place of its own as a highlight of contemporary experimental music

innovation.

We think it's unacceptable to judge anyone for activities performed 20

years ago, which have no relation whatsoever to the activities that Duncan

is currently pursuing in Stockholm.  We find it an embarrassment to the

Stockholm art community that IASPIS has chosen to arbitrarily disregard

their contract long after it's been agreed upon by both parties, in fact

several months after Duncan has been working here.  Their insulting

disregard of Duncan's rights makes the entire Stockholm art community seem

as weak and fearful of their jobs as the IASPIS board of directors have

shown themselves to be in the eyes of our international colleagues around

the world.  Their actions also raise serious doubts about the treatment

that all present and future invited artists can expect from the IASPIS

program.

We ask the IASPIS board of directors to reconsider their decision in a

mature and serious manner, and not to behave like bureaucrats in panic for

their positions.

Grant him the full stipend that IASPIS is legally obligated to pay, which

he needs in order to survive in Stockholm while finishing the work he came

here to do."

Your name, profession, country & email

Send your message to IASPIS director Sara Arrhenius (sa@xxxxxxxxxx).