Re: fileswapping is killing...

dear paul,

i didn´t mention any other yet "illegal" activity than the one of an
artist who has the full right into his own product including
distributing his works freely, even on a so-called legal basis.
besides that i disagree about your definition of legality or illegality.
i do explicitly not think or agree with, that companies entitled to take
care of artists copryights, are working for the best of the artists:
they are working for the best of their bosses and a few important
members. this should be illegal - if it is not by now, then it should
be, still. i do not fear to conquer the laws as long as they are made to
make rich people richer (excuse me to be THAT simple).
the label i am on (geist records, london, uk) is suffering from a
decline in record sales aswell as most other labels at the moment. i
don´t think this is great,  but it is not avoidable at all and just an
intermediate phase of a changing attitude towards copyrights.
there´s no way of disrespecting humans lowest needs: getting things for
free, since that is what is being promoted all over the place while
trying to make them, all pay later. they SHALL NOT. they shall come out
of their homes and attend artists concerts (i personally favour this).
when the record industry, that mostly wants to make money out of artists
(which is ok for me generally - a normal business syndrome) starts
complaining, that it cannot keep up with current developments in file
exchange policy of single end-"users" of music, than this is simply
showing, that it has slept for too long while introducing
copy-protection schemes (financed by the artists mainly) that at last do
not even work.
charging the customer extra for his/her simple wish to get relief should
be permitted.
i see artists worx a little bit like being a doctor for the soul
oftenly.
and this should be delivered to whomever needs it for tzh ebenfit of the
artist mainly, if not for free in general.
excuse me to be that emotional, but i personally cannot stand these
discussions anymore and think, that they prooved to be obsolete already
long ago.

best,

jayrope ? berlin

--