[OT]? Hiss reduction recommendations

Hi I hope this is not too off topic, if it is, please refer me to a list better suited to the question...anyway... I have a friend who is working on a documentary to complete his masters requirements...he's ran into a wall in regards to the audio quality of some of the interviews. A number of the interviews suffer from serious hiss issues coupled with low volume levels. What is the best way to reduce this extreme hiss and raise the level of the audio as well? The interviews were one shot deals and cannot be recorded again. The poor audio quality sticks out like a sore thumb and he'd like to find a way to clean it up, cheaply if possible. I'm aware of a number of restoration programs but I have no experience with them...is there a way to cut the hiss while raising the level that will not cost an arm and a leg? Sorry if this is too far off topic and thanks for ANY help you can give.
Michael