RE: [microsound] Re: grabbing people by the balls (dumbtype et al )

jacek. jacek. shoot. sorry! it is clearly too early for me to be writing
email.
thanks for your reply.

this sentence especially:
> It should be rather seen as an artistic
> attempt
> to invoke physical changes in the surrounding material world.

especially interesting in the context of phill niblock, i think. his piece
at FCMM this year used a number of videos of people doing physical labor,
and i couldn't help but tie it to the physical labor of sound waves. this
may have been my own perception though.

in defense of sensorband -- and i admit that i may have been overhasty in
saying that voluminous noise is disrespectful to the audience, because in
fact the audience does have the choice. at times, of course, the volume
sneaks up on you -- such as with f. lopez, so that you can't really
apprehend the volume until after the piece is done. and i'll also admit that
some of my frustration with karkowski's performance was at myself, because i
was determined to "take" as much as i could without plugging my ears, and
afterwards felt like i'd shaved about 5% off my hearing. having a deaf
father, i'm pretty paranoid about these kind of things. so much of my
reaction is a very personal response.  is there any "responsible" limit on a
performance's volume? i guess i'm undecided there. (i also managed to blow
out my ears at matt herbert's sonar DJ set, and was just as pissed at myself
then.)

but what i was going to say about sensorband -- unfortunately SFMOMA didn't
have the ideal venue for their sound; i don't really know what the acoustics
of the theater there are but they didn't seem conducive to the spatial
aspects of sensorband's sound, which came out much more clearly in a
montreal performance in a much more acoustically friendly room. at SFMOMA,
in fact, the ventilation system in the ceiling was rattling from the
vibrations, creating its own sound that at times threatened to drown out
sensorband's high end. so it's unfortunate that a piece in many ways about
"pure" sound (or that's how i take it) was restricted by the particulars of
its space.

anyway, i should probably just stop talking now.
ta
phil