Re: [microsound] Re: grabbing people with a statement

Thanks to all that have participated in this discussion as of late.
It has been very enriching and informative.

Language and sound both share a common point in that they have contextual meaning but when they are removed from their context interesting things happen. For example, hearing another language you can not understand means nothing to you except in what its qualities as a sound are. Language gets meaning from who is using it. If you dont understand the sound "densha" as a word it has no meaning. Mike put it well when he wrote "Sound is abundant with meaning, but only when the meaning is supplied by the listener." Removed from its context one can realize that sound and language have no meaning. If it serves no function to us all we can do is listen. Afterwards we can decide what to do with it. Try staring at your favorite wall while repeating a simple word like "train" over and over again for 30min to an hour. I find that things get ridiculous pretty quickly.

It is sometimes useful to make a distinction between what is ultimately true and what is only conventionally true. Most things we believe to be true are only conventionally so. They make life and the processing of our experiences easier. Language and the meaning of words and sounds are conventionally true. They serve a purpose in a given situation. I am interested in what happens when one realizes conventional truth and tries to experience things like sound and language in another fashion.

thanks brian

We need to sit on the rim
of the well of darkness
and fish for fallen light