Re: [microsound] Where Music Will Be Coming From

wsoderberg@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> my work went from a department of over 50 to 5 in this "not much" of a
> recession...

No doubt many people on this list have been affected more than the general
public by this recession since it has hit the tech sector particularly badly
-- I apologize to those of you who seem to think my comment was insensitive.

I know a lot of people have lost their jobs in the recession -- but looking
at everything on a macroeconomic scale, after the crazy over-investment and
Internet bubble economy of the late 90s, many conventional economic
forecasters were predicting a much worse fate for the US economy. Bust
inevitably follows boom and in equal measure, at least that's how it's always
been. The Economist magazine, among other commentators, questioned whether we
might not be headed for a massive economic decline on the level of what Japan
has endured for the past ten years following their bubble economy of the late
1980s.

But -- the fact is that the overall economy hasn't been hit that badly
compared to past recessions, particularly considering how overheated the boom
was, and it seems like everything is readjusting and setting up for another
period of expansion already, just 6-8 months after the last expansion ended.
This downturn has been far less severe than it should have been, that's the
point, and I think this indicates that Kevin Kelly's economic thesis was
basically right -- the heavy investment in information technology has made
the US economy much faster to react to changing conditions.

John