Re: [microsound] laptops kim's article

Re: Performance and Spectacle.

I don't think these two should be equated and I don't think the "dissatisfied laptop audience" is necessarily looking for spectacle. I believe Performance is something else entirely that involves the intangible relationship between the performer and the audience which can involve movement or non-movement, spectacle or complete lack of visual stimuli and still be a successful performance. There is something mystical that happens in a good performance beyond visual and musical entertainment.

Perhaps the problem is that some musicians become lulled into a stupor by the 75Hz flicker of their screen and the performance suffers accordingly.

Or maybe musicians who should be studio-only artists are moving into live performance out of a fear that there will soon be no way to sell recorded music-objects for profit.