[microsound] General Warning: Forced Exposure

General Warning Against:

Forced Exposure USA
www.forcedexposure.com
Mr. Jimmy Johnson
226 Lowel St.
Somerville MA. 02143
fe@xxxxxxxxx

This is a warning to other labels particularly, but also to consumers
and shops.

Forced Exposure owes Lucky Kitchen for almost 7 months now, over 1,500
US dollars on three open invoices.  Mr. Johnson has avoided our email
and phone contacts ( which we have regularly sent approximately 2 weeks
apart for the past 4 months).  When we contacted him by phone 3 months
ago, Mr. Johnson actually hung up the phone in the middle of the
conversation.  The phonecall went like this:

Lucky Kitchen" "hello, do you know when you can pay us for the open
invoices?"
Mr. Johnson:  "No... is that all?"
Lucky Kitchen: "do you have anything you would like to tell us? Do you
have anything more to say?"
Mr. Johnson:  "Not really..."  click...

In a second phone call Mr. Johnson agreed to return all unsold LK CDs
and write a check for the balance within the week.  This was over 1
month ago, and he has ignored further communications leading us to fear
the worst: he has not intended to pay us since the beginning. Luckilly
we stopped sending our new CDs 4 months ago or he would have them for
free as well.

Because we have dealt with certain distributors on the mistaken basis
of trust, we have learned the hard way how vicious the situation can
become.  (The case of Dutch East India is fairly well known also, but
at least they were upfront with their business troubles and they try to
be respectful.)   Let this be a general warning to all labels: DO NOT
WORK WITH FORCED EXPOSURE ON A TRUST SYSTEM. DEMAND PAYMENT UPFRONT OR
RISK LOSING YOUR HARD WORK.  We have spoken to a dozen other labels who
are also owed substantial sums of money by Mr. Johnson (we have heard
horror stories , but we should not talk about this here).  Most labels
are too afraid to come forth because they believe silence is the best
way to stay on Mr. Johnson's "good side".

If Forced Exposure is, as it appears to be, a failing business, Mr.
Johnson owes it to be upfront with his business partners -- the labels,
big and small -- and to try to reach an accord of some sort.  Since
this is a basic business structure (Mr. Johnson ordered CDs, we sent
them, Forced Exposure sold them on their website, they should then send
us payment),  it is clear that Mr. Johnson's arrogance and disrespect
for basic fair business policies sinks below even our worst
expectations.  Also, since we are in Spain, our rights in general are
limited by lack of international trade standards:  it seems Mr. Johnson
already knows this, probably from first hand experience.

CONSUMERS:  Please do not buy Lucky Kitchen CDs from Forced Exposure
because they have been stolen from us.  Please do not buy LK011 through
LK015 from U.S. shops either because Forced Exposure was the dealer
supplying them.  (This notice DOES NOT include Anomalous Records who
bought a small supply of LK015, and have since distributed LK in the
USA starting from LK016  and pay ontime with great respect.)

SHOPS: Please return all your Lucky Kitchen CDs directly to us, and do
NOT pay Forced Exposure for them because they have been stolen from
Lucky Kitchen and FE are not entitled to this money.  If you have
already sold the CDs, please do an accounting and pay us directly for
them. We will work out a discounted price with you.

EVERYONE: We realize that with the world situation as it is, most
people do not care about this message in the least, and we don't blame
you. However, please re-consider your relationship with Forced Exposure
in regards to some basic principals of artist's rights which seem to be
too often disregarded.  Please forward to anyone to whom it may
concern. We are not doing this just for the money, because we will
probably spend as much money taking Mr. Johnson to court as he owes us.
 We are doing this to defend the rights of so called "small labels"
whom Mr. Johnson among others seem to think have no rights.  Please
forward to anyone to whom it may concern.

Open letter to Jimmy Johnson:

We have made every attempt to be civil and upfront. In return, your
behavior is unacceptable and sad and we will not forget it.  If you do
not want Lucky Kitchen CDs, please do not order them. After ordering
them, you must pay for them. In an attempt to rectify the situation,
please send us full payment immediately of all open Lucky Kitchen
invoices and we will publicly acknowledge your step to set right what
you have done wrong. Otherwise, we will come to Boston and call you
into Small Claims Court, and continue sending this message to warn
people about your company.

Sincerely,

Lucky Kitchen

=====