Re: [microsound] Money/Mouth

I dont believe it is possible to compare laptops and traditional instruments
and/or performances.  A traditional  band for instance has multiple members
that all play their composed parts where as a laptop performer cannot
physically play multiple instruments/samples of/or samples.  He/she is
essentially composing a musical score in the same way that a traditional
musician would.  The laptop is what allows him to bring it all together,
much like a composer/conductor of an orachestra would.  The orchestra is his
laptop.  It would be pretty funny to see him running around trying to play
all the instruments simutaneously now wouldnt it?

For
>the acoustic performer (or even electric), there is a direct correlation
>between the producer and the product; a coronet player blows his horn and
>a sound results.

*in a very polite and respectful tone i say the following:)*

What about Milli Vanilli?  What about the Monkees.  What about anyone that
lipsyncs their performances.  You think all the throngs of millie vanilli
fans really knew the difference when they were watching the
performance's.(did i just bring up Milli Vanilli?)  And does it really
matter that the Monkees didnt perform live most of the time?  They knew how
to play their instruments and wrote most of their material.  While i do
agree that there is a difference in a traditional instrumental performance
and that of a laptop performnce, but i feel it is unfair to say that an
audience member cannot relate to or appreciate a laptop set as they would a
traditional show.  First of all they arent experienced in the same way as
you pointed out.  Also audience members know what to expect from each, and
appreciate both respectivley.

As i said before i speak from personal experience.  My first ever laptop
experience blew me away(a chap by the name of o9)  I hadnt a clue about the
process involved, but i knew what i was hearing was pure bliss musically.  I
was glued to the performance.  I appreciated it as much as the Chicago
Underground Duo, or any other traditional type performance i have seen live.
Its all up to the individual imo.  I believe it is impossible to say
anything inregards to how others percieve things(Not that im saying anyone
is)

""In some ways, there really isn't a way for the laptop to *not* be
acousmatic.
There is no way to directly indicate a source for the sound; the source *IS*
the laptop, but it isn't at the same time.  For samples, the source is
actually instruments, cars, voices, etc.  The challenge is the abstraction
that the laptop represents; performers are presenting themselves as the
originator (acoustic), yet the source itself is acousmatic (hidden from
view)."

I believe the laptop genre can be labled as somewhat acousmatic.  Its a
little bit of a contradiction tho since the laptop can be the source of the
sounds/music(programs like reaktor,buzz,max)  and also play the roll of the
phono graph by playing imp0rted samples synch'd up or what not.  If the
laptop performer were playing live out of reaktor, even improvisationally it
would be impossible for anyone to know,(as you stated earlier)
unless they would all crowd around his little screenie which of course would
be highly impractical.(tho many do)

As someone pointed out earlier, we are somewhat conditioned inregards to
what we expect from a musical performance.  I do know that i appreciate the
creative process regardless of whether it is of a traditionally musicall
manner or an acousmatic laptop performance:)

Great post's so far:)

aLEKs