Re: [microsound] photosynthesis

* Michal Seta (mis@xxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
> Also, for those who are on linux.  One way I was able to get raw data into GIMP was to start one process:
> cat file.xxx > /dev/dsp
> and start a reverse:
>
> cat /dev/dsp > myfile.raw
>
> then run rawtoppm, ppmtotga and GIMP.  Mess with the file, save and cat > /dev/dsp again.

I used 'sox' to convert a .wav to .raw and then found a plugin for GIMP
that will load RAW files:

    http://www.ne.jp/asahi/linux/timecop/loader.html

I found that using 'sox' to make the raw files use 32-bit unsigned
samples and loading the raw files as RGBA gave me the best image to work
with. Unsigned data lets brightness correspond with loudness and using
32-bit samples keeps audio data from cycling through the color channels.
I thought I would get the best results going this route.

Also, a hint for the RAW plugin. Set the image size to its maximum
(4096x4096) and it will load as much as it can (up to 4096x4096x32bits
of data -- which isn't very much; 190s of sound at 44.1).

-- jeremy avnet / brainsik .:.