Re: [microsound] Money/Mouth

These are two different genres of music as well. Each genres fans carry
different expectations in regards to what they expect. I think a fan of Kid
606 or Taylor Dupree has "a " different set of expectations then a fan of
N'sync. I will go out on a limb and say that a N'Sync fan has the need to
be entertained along with appreciation of music, where as a fan of Dupree or
Tilleander would go just for the sound.

>>i totally agree with this point. ive had some arguments with people who have more traditional views of music (and art in general) and believe that melody and perhaps conventional arrangements (verse/chorus/verse) are necessary for defining whats good and bad in music. its analogous to someone that perceives the best visual art to be ultra-representational. that is, the more it looks like the real thing, the more artistic value it has.

and in this case, the "real thing" is the long standing template of popular music. its supposed to be entertaining. and since this idea of music (at least in the western world) is hammered into us non-stop, accepting something like laptop musicians or post-digital or whatever we're calling it today, is unfathomable. for me, its like...why try to apply a conventional standard or paradigm to a new way of presenting ideas? its like comparing degas and twombly paintings. both the painters and their work are great, but for different reasons.

if its a question of the laptop musician being a legitimate artist, it should be resolved based on the inherent concepts associated with that form (DSP, laptops, etc) and not whether they can play an instrument or prove to people whether they are the authors of their work. i think ultimately it comes down sincerity and/or legitimacy of the message, something you can apply to any art form. it may be harder to do with the whole DSP thing since its a relatively new mode of expression, but you still can.

v'