Re: [microsound] Re: Scores

I don't want to brag but...

On Tue, 21 May 2002 08:42:17 -0700
Glenn Bach <gbach@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Contemporary "post-digital" work seems to me a closed system (not necessarily a bad thing), in that the composer creates, distributes, and performs the
> work, eliminating all the intermediaries. There is no score, other than what happened in the studio, on the computer monitor, and in the head of the
> composer.  And the only access people have is to listen.  (Kim's parasites and remix projects in general are a little different, and I'm going to look into
> that separately.)

I once wrote a piece for guitar + computer (you can actually listen to it on my website.  It's called [citharizantium -I-]).  As the title indicates, it was meant to be the first in the series of pieces for different instruments where:

1.  the score was completely written out in the (more/less) traditional way (with some 'ad lib' sections).
2.  the computer interactive system was designed and allowed for some tweekings _prior_ to performance in order to adapt it well to the space where the performance took place + some 'aesthetic' considerations.
3.  (the most interesting one, i guess) the performer would record his/her own samples to be used during the performance.

There were some rules about doing (recording) it.  Next, the recorded samples were to be run through a supplied CSound .orc + .sco and the resulting material was to be used in the performance.

This way, so I thought, each performance, although following some fairly strict format, would be different due to the differences in recordings from one performer to another.

Later, I dropped this idea because there are too many steps involved and (perhaps) not many performers would want to go through the trouble; not to mention, that not everyone has access to sufficient recording gear + computer to run CSound on and the Max/MSP in real-time, MIDI + etc etc...
The requirements for performing such piece are rather high.  Although now, some of the things could be done in real-time altogether, thus bypassing the CSound part...

Why am I saying that?
I don't know, I guess I just had an urge to share my digital-post-digital-to-digital vision...
--
../MiS

Michal Seta		http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/mis
CreaZone		http://www.creazone.com
No One Receiving	http://creazone.eworldmusic.com/doc/nor

upcoming release:
NOR - "The Release of the Wandering-Eyed Girl"
	http://www.grainofsound.com