Re: [microsound] PD, GEM & Linux [OT]

(note:  I've considered to send this as a private mail to Derek but I thought that other people might be interested in pointers as well.  So excuse [OT] post)

Hi Derek,

first, you should go here:
and subscribe to the mailing list.  The list is rather active lately and lotsa helpful people hang around with lotsa different experiences, OSs, etc.

there's also an email archive (on the same page) so you can search and see if anyone had similar setup/probs.

then check the main site:
http://iem.kug.ac.at/pdwiki/
and then perhaps:
http://www.pure-data.org

As far as Linux distros go, it doesn't really matter what you use.  All linux applications (should) run in all distros.  They mostly differ in some configuration details.  Apparently RadHat & Mandrake are easier for beginners (easier to install and configure), I never used SuSe, and I use Debian and find it easier to maintain and update/upgrade (the debian package management rocks!  I was able to upgrade the system + kernel while chatting on IRC! - after that just one reboot and you're in the new system.  Cool, huh?).  Also, it is important nowadays that you have your Linux OS up to date, no matter what distro.

I have been using Linux since 1998 and in the past (nearly) 2 years almost exlusively linux.  Not that I'm supposed be some kind of an inspiration/authority, after all i'm just a nobody, but still.

Anyways, go for it.

../MiS