re: [microsound] Further (rambling) thoughts on Mutek, 2nd night (30/05)

 -- the piece I quoted was the Handel, which was oddly enough the
piece you could not remember. I do find it fascinating. No death
threats, just interpretative curiousity. I question your review
as you apply specific classical paradigms to this music, specifically
loop-based music, and simply pass judgements based upon a codified
set of rules which are extremely genre-specific. Not to mention that you are
doing exactly what I criticise as a euro-centric high art stance in the
missive I sent the list as mutek 3/4...  However, I do appreciate
the detail and humour you add to your excellent description of the music
involved, but deeply feel that you *will* never appreciate loop-based
music if you continue to paint yourself into the box--which is conveniantly
hoisted upon a pedestal--you have placed yourself into.

Overall I agree. Janek Schaefer was incredible. But the others perhaps
need different coda to appreciate their value. I can see the
differentiations you are making, but feel that they need to be rotated at
degrees to speculate upon their respective inertias and speeds. See what I
mean?

- t

p.s. Apologies for my recent chatter to this list --
& it was wonderful meeting many of you @ Mutek.
One more night ...

> On 02/06/02 17:35, tobias v said in living color:
>
>> Given your obvious knowledge of classical music, I find
>> myself questioning your entire review after you failed to
>> realise that Stephen Mathieu was remixing Handel.
>>
>> tobias
>
> No death threats but a questioning of my entire review. That's good. :)
>
> - True, I failed to realise that Stephan Mathieu was remixing Handel (BTW,
> and I guess that is apparent, I'm really not familiar with neither Handel or
> Mathieu's music [something I mentioned in my message in the latter case]).
> I'm not much into baroque music in general, and particularly not into
> Handel.
>
> - I wonder why that would make you question my entire review. I'm trying to
> mentally hazard a few guesses but I can't come up with a satisfying reason.
>
> - What piece was that? Everything he did? The last two ones? The second one
> -- F minor/A flat major organ one (my guess)? The last one, which you quoted
> in your reply, perhaps indicating that's the piece in question?
>

> g.

tobias c. van Veen -----------
http://www.shrumtribe.com
http://www.targetcircuitry.com