Re: [microsound] political economy of glitch

on 6/03/02 11:59 AM, anechoic at kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> it seems like people are quick to reduce qualifiers such as 'good' to
> meaning lots of money, lots of exposure and lots of whatever...(pop media
> counterfeits aura by 'supersizing')...my main gripe is that most
> "movements" or genres which become more 'exposed' or better financed do so
> often at the loss of the "real" (see xenakis)...money and exposure are
> attached to cultural artifacts so that corporations can produce 'demand'
> for pop trends...very little of anything pop is actually desired by the
> populus (ie pop) without an artificial drive creating that desire...
> I just don't see an artifical drive being developed for microsound although
> it could easily become a caricature of iteself with trend winning out over
> content...but some of the more difficult rhizomes (i.e. lowercase) will
> never really become heavily financed/exposed and are prone to occupying the
> niche realm of sound-art rather than pop genre fodder...this is not to say
> that microsound becoming a caricature is a bad thing, only that not all of
> us wish to be reduced to cartoon characters...
> just my .02cents
> KIM

  I've had thoughts on the subject.

  I'm wondering if there's a way (or ways) to increase money and exposure
without producing 'pop artifacts'?

  Maybe there are ways to deal with the real drives and desires ( or at
least a simulcrum ) instead of manufactured or artificial ones.

  Of course some of what I'm writing about happens already , since those who
make electronic music and so forth also turn out graphic designs and self
promotion through media. I'm thinking of something more primal , universal ,
like democracy.

                            Bill