Re: [microsound] record industry is becoming the book business

"Moby is Martin Amis."

Bullshit. Moby is John Grisham.

The real kicker of this article is the relation
with technology. It's only touched on at the end,
but there is an even larger paradigm the "music
industry" is working within that it does not consider
 -- and this is our relation to sound, and how we
consider sound, noise, and music -- their differences
and their relations. An interesting argument, which
came to my mind after pondering Kahn's "Noise Water
Meat," is that the reason people don't want to buy
Top 40 "music" anymore is because it has become noise,
a sound so ubiquitous that we take it for granted.
(Which is, perhaps, somewhat of a poetic justice;
advertising has so saturated our lives that the real
resistance arises when we are forced to pay for the
things we now desire with a desire that is not actually
ours, but has been given to us. The result: consumer
rebellion. We have a *right* to what is advertised...)

Therefore, like the noise of traffic and the annoying
man who runs around his apartment above me, it should
be free --if we have to listen to it at all.

It is the latter caveat which is perhaps only just beginning
to sink in, but before it can be actualised and the
consumerist blood drawn out, a new cancer will no doubt
crowd at the heart of the sonic body before sound can
be heard beyond the structure of capital. And this cancer
will no doubt be a further constricting of our relation
to technology. I can imagine the day when we buy hardware,
such as a laptop, that has built in advertising with the
OS; or microwaves that play ads before nuking our food;
or music that comes on a cd mixed with ads...

best,

tobias

> http://www.newyorkmag.com/page.cfm?page_id=6099
>
> =====