Re: [microsound] Cutting edge???

<< """" I don't care if I was the first person to use Arizona Iced

Tea cans to make music; it was never experimental, it was never meant

to be progressive, or cutting edge, and god forbid revolutionary""""" >>

Oh my God!  I used the Arizona Iced Tea bottles in a piece (no joke)!  It's a
new sub-genre; Arizonamicrosound.  But since aluminum was discovered after
glass, I guess you are more cutting edge than me, especially since that pop
top is pretty sharp.  (Meant in good humor!)  But seriously, let's think
about this - isn't the sense of "progress" in the arts just a little
misguided, and kind of romantic?  I mean, remember "Progressive Rock"?  From
a 21st century perspective, I think mid-sixties Motown is a whole lot cooler
now than "Close to the Edge" by Yes.  Wouldn't you cherish a mediocre track
by Marvin Gaye over Rick Wakeman's best work?

What do you think, is linear progress in music an illusion?  I prefer to
think of music history as a spiral, not a vertical line.

michael