Re: [microsound] microsound as pop music

> Show me the distinction between pop and academic.

I assume pop means popular, and not the academic 'Pop
Art' moniker, which would be a sneaky way to subvert
the distinction.

I would say it is knowledge by the masses and the
money and support to make that happen. Just because
Paul Lansky was sampled by a Top 40 band and
Stockhausen was on the cover of Sgt. Pepper doesn't
make them popular to a mass audience. Most don't know
of them and could care less.

Also, I can't think of any pop music that tends to
justify itself intellectually - as a matter of fact,
it tends to be anti-intellectual.  Sure, it might be
smartly written, but you don't see liner notes go on
and on with extra-musical justifications with any
record that sells over 20,000 copies, much less
2,000,000.

throwin' 2 cents - Jethro