Re: [microsound] microsound as pop music

On Tuesday, July 16, 2002, at 09:18 PM, Glenn Bach wrote:
Should we be using the terms
"mainstream" and "underground" rather than/in addition to "pop" and
"academic/avantgarde"?

This seems like a more relevant distinction but, practically, how would you draw it? Sales, statistics, broadcasting?
I think an even more abstract but possibly also useful distinction would be centralizing / decentralizing or territorializing / deterritorializing. Is the entity in question in the service of greater centralized control and power? Is it opening up or drawing in? Is it creatng rigidity or flexibility?
I would say 'microsound' has an excellent track record in these terms.

-km