Re: [microsound] microsound as pop music

The difference between art and pop is that art gives you something
strange, new, and not necessarily easy to digest. Sonic Youth doesn't
steal many fans from P Diddy. What pop gives you is something you know and
are familiar with. A genere could start out as an art form and become pop
simply by being around long enough to become familiar, like all the
pop-punk bands out there, punk used to be a very scary, intimidating art
form which was not easy to consume, but has been around long enough to
become familiar enough that popsters can bite some part of it to create a
mass appeal. There's a lot of gray area between art and pop, and sometimes
art becomes popular, like Zappa was a very successful artist, doing some
very strange music, but mixing enough familiar elements to make it
palatable to the non-initiated. Pop music is for people who like
tradition, who are fearful of risk taking and who are conservative, while
art appeals to the mavaricks who live on risk and the difficult and the
strange.