Re: [microsound] Is microsound "hip"?

Folks,

I've been reading this thread with some bemusement, for a couple of reasons:

1. There's a great deal of sophistication here about the linkages between political, economic, social and pop-cultural mechanisms, in a sort of academic, left wing, oppositional mode. That's fine, and I'm generally sympathetic. What bothers me about this sort of criticism is what sometimes seems like a blind faith in reason, or at least faith in the idea that more and more thinking, and more and more complicated ideas, will solve the problems of the world. (If this isn't the underlying idea, then why bother with any of it?) I often wonder how much more knowledge the world needs, when there's so little wisdom to be found.

How much avant-garde music is reflecting wisdom, and how much is reflecting knowledge for the sake of knowledge? I can intuit the difference when I hear it, and I can tell you, I'm desperately bored by the latter.

2. The aesthetics of failure ... showing the limits of these supposedly omnipotent machines has its value, sure. But I've often wondered why so much of the avant-garde seems fixated on aesthetics of deconstruction/destruction. Isn't there enough destruction in the world? What if the emphasis were, instead, on building up, and offering a brighter vision for the world?

Lately I've come to believe that if my music is not creating a healing space, then I'm wasting my time and I might as well drive a bus. Further, if I hear music by others that is not healing, then I feel like my time is being wasted. I simply haven't time anymore to listen to musical curiosities.

Healing need not be "mainstream" -- I'm reminded of a gig by Bernhard Gunter in Chapel Hill a few years ago. After about 90 minutes of his soundscapes, it felt like a Zen meditation hall in there. That's one way of healing! A deep, deep smooth House beat is another. There's no limit.

So, where Scott put it this way:

We will all be dead soon enough, so who really gives a Folks,

[...]

We will all be dead soon enough, so who really gives a fuck?

I would say, we'll all be dead soon enough, so whatever you do, make it really count.

I'm on vacation until Monday. I'll try to catch up via the archives then.

James ?

--
 ______                         | "To be thoroughly lazy is a tough
 \    /  H. James Harkins       |  job, but somebody has to do it.
                                |                -- Kazuaki Tanahashi

                  http://www.duke.edu/~jharkins

"Never does hatred cease by hating in return; only through love
can hatred come to an end. Victory breeds hatred; the conquered
dwell in sorrow and resentment. They who give up all thought of
victory or defeat may be calm and live happily at peace."
                                                  -- Dhammapada